M.Sc., PhD, NET Qualified
Biological applications of nanoscale structures and materials.
Antimicrobial and Anticancer study of microbial and plant extracts.
11 years of teaching and 5 years of research experience.
Resource Person (Ad-hoc): Course taught Postgraduate Certificate/ Diploma programmes in Food Analysis and Quality Control, Directorate for Applied Short-Term Programmes, Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam, Kerala, India 2019 August 18 onwards).
Adjunct Faculty: National Institute of Plant Science Technology Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam
Reviewer: American Journal of Nanosciences
Research Associate: Business Innovation and Incubation Centre, Mahatma Gandhi University, Kerala, India, 2018-19. (21/11/2018 to 07/06/2019).
Member of MHRD’s Institution’s Innovation Council: Assumption College Changancaherry, Kottayam for the academic year 2018-19.
Research Assistant: Business Innovation and Incubation Centre (BIIC), Mahatma Gandhi University Govt. of Kerala funded Project on University Innovation Systems Assessing Academia-Industry Linkage (2018).
Adjunct faculty: National Institute of Plant Science Technology Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam, 2015-2016.
Assistant Professor: Dept. of Microbiology, Presentation College of Applied Sciences, Puthenvelikkara (Affiliated to Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam) 2006-14.
Trainee Microbiologist: St.Thomas Mission Hospital, Chethippuzha, Changanachery, Kottayam (01/09/2003 to 31/01/2004).
- Dinoop K and Smitha Vijayan* Migration Governance and the Pandemic: A multilevel Governance Approach (2021), Journal of Polity & Society, Volume 13 (1) Published by University of Kerala
- Smitha Vijayan and Jisha M S, (2020), Mycoendophytes:A new vision to the biological synthesis of silver nanoparticles, Journal of Science, Technology and Management, Vol. No. 13, No. 02, ISSN No: 0974-8334, pp 96-114.
- Smitha Vijayan and Jisha M S, (2020), Chitosan conjugate of biogenic silver nanoparticles: A promising drug formulation with antimicrobial and anticancer activities, Nanobiotechnology in Diagnosis, Drug delivery and Treatment,(ed.) by Mahendra Rai, Mehdi Razzaghi-Abyaneh, Avinash P. Ingle, John Wiley & Sons (ISBN Paperback: 9781119671770), Chapter-14, pp-273.
- Smitha Vijayan, K. Divya, Sherin Varghese and M. S. Jisha, (2020), Antifungal Efficacy of Chitosan-Stabilized Biogenic SilverNanoparticles against Pathogenic Candida spp. Isolated from Human, Bionanoscience, 10(4), 974-982.
- Smitha Vijayan, Divya, K. & Jisha, M.S.(2020) In vitro anticancer evaluation of Chitosan/Biogenic Silver nanoparticles conjugate on Si Ha and MDA MB cell lines,Appl Nanoscience.10, pp715–728(2020)
- Smitha Vijayan, Divya K and Jisha M S. (2019), Characterization and comparative evaluation of Bio-AgNP conjugates,International Journal of Advances in science, Engineering and Technology (IJASEAT), Volume 7, Issue 2 (Spcl issue 2) 29-36.
- Smitha Vijayan, K. Divya, Tijith K. George, and M. S. Jisha (2016), Biogenic Synthesis of Silver Nanoparticles Using Endophytic Fungi Fusarium oxysporum Isolated from Withania Somnifera, Its Antibacterial and Cytotoxic Activity, Journal of Bionanoscience, ,Vol. 10, 1–8.
- Smitha Vijayan, K. Divya, and M. S. Jisha, (2016), Antibacterial and cytotoxicity studies of silver nanoparticles synthesized by endophytic Fusarium solani isolated from Withania somnifera (L.), Journal of Water and Environmental Nanotechnology. 1(2):91-103.
- Divya K, Smitha Vijayan, Meenu Thampi, Sherin Varghese, MS Jisha (2020), Induction of defence response in Oryza sativa against Rhizoctonia solani (Kuhn) by chitosan nanoparticles, Microbial Pathogenesis.
- Divya K, Vijayan S, Nair SJ, Jisha MS, (2018) Optimization of chitosan nanoparticle synthesis and its potential application as germination elicitor of Oryza sativa International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 124.
- Divya K, Smitha V, Jisha MS. (2018), Antifungal, antioxidant and cytotoxic activities of chitosan nanoparticles and its use as an edible coating on vegetables, International Journal of Biological Macromolecules.15;114:572-577.
- Divya, Smitha Vijayan, Tijith K. George, M. S. Jisha (2017), Antimicrobial Properties of Chitosan Nanoparticles: Mode of Action and Factors Affecting Activity, Fibers and Polymers. Vol.18, No.2, 1-10.
- Divya Koilparambil; Liya C. Kurian; Smitha Vijayan; Jisha Manakulam Shaikmoideen (2016),Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles by Escherichia coli: Analysis of antibacterial activity, Journal of Water and Environmental Nanotechnology.
- Girish Kumar R, Smitha Vijayan, and Nayana Nair(2018), The Business Innovation and Incubation Centre (BIIC), Mahatma Gandhi University: Towards better University-Industry Linkage, Journal of Political Economy &Fiscal Federalism. , ISSN 2395-6976.
- International Association of Chemical, Biological & Medical Sciences Researchers (CBMSR) Synthesis, characterization and comparative antibacterial effect of silver nanoparticles and chitosan conjugated silver nanoparticles synthesized by endophytic Colletotrichum gloeosporioides– Smitha Vijayan, K. Divya, Elizabeth Mary John, M.S. Jisha – Dubai (UAE) Dec. 30-31, 2016.
- International Conference on Nanotechnology and Basic Sciences. Extracellular synthesis of silver nanoparticles by endophytic Fusarium solani from Withania somnifera and its antibacterial and cytotoxicity studies, Smitha Vijayan, Divya Koilaparambil, Tijith K George, Jisha Manakulam Shaikmoideen- 5 February, ICN 2016, Dubai, Emirates.
- Proceedings of Advanced Research Society for Science and Sociology (ARSSS) International Conference Characterization and comparative evaluation of Bio-AgNP conjugates, Smitha Vijayan, Divya K and Jisha M S. 26 May 2019 at Bengaluru, India, pp 14-25.
- Proceedings of fourth international conference on natural polymers and biomaterials (ICNP 2015), Biogenic synthesis of silver nanoparticles using endophytic fungi Fusarium sp isolated from Withania somnifera and its antibacterial and cytotoxic activity, Smitha Vijayan, Divya K, Tijith K George, Jisha M S, 10,11,12 April 2015, pp 76-77. (Peer reviewed)
- Proceedings of 30th Kerala Science Congress, Antioxidant, antibacterial and antibiofilm activity of biogenic silver chitosan nanoconjugates, Smitha Vijayan, Divya K, Karthika S and Jisha M S, Thalassery, January 2018,pp 259-260.
- Proceedings of the national seminar on plant science technology for sustainable agriculture, Phosphate solubilising bacteria from banana rhizosphere and their effect on Pisum sativum Smitha Vijayan, Athira Mathew, Elizabeth Mary John, pp89-92.
- Proceedings of Two-day national seminar on recent trends in applied Lifesciences, Antibacterial and antibiofilm activity of bioAgNP and chitosan conjugated bioAgNP, Smitha Vijayan, Divya K and Jisha M S, Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam, March 15-16, 2017, ISBN 978-93-80419-30-5,pp 30-32.
- International Webinar on Phytochemistry -Impacts and Applications
Proceedings and Abstracts, Teena Merlin, Smitha Vijayan and Prakash Kumar B (2021), An in silico approach to study the anti-inflammatory potential of an ayurvedic herbal decoction Kokilakasham kashayam, ISBN: 978-81-951912-5-3, pp-87.
- Proceedings 7 th Go Green Summit 2021, Anticancer Efficacy of Chitosan/Biogenic silver nanoparticle conjugate: An in vitro analysis on MDA MB (Human breast Adenocarcinoma) Cell lines. Smitha Vijayan, 14-15 October 2021, Manila, Philippines ISBN: 978-81-951121-4-2, pp 79.CONTENT DEVELOPED FOR MOOC COURSEModules developed for the massive online open course (MOOC) on Organic Farming, (Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam, Kerala.ISBN: 978-93-80419-45-9)MOOC course on Start UP: 7 modules developed for Business Innovation and Incubation Centre Mahatma Gandhi University, KottyamUnit 1: Introduction, Unit 2 Ideation, Unit 3: Concepting, Unit 4: Committing,Unit 5: Validating, Unit 6:Scaling and Unit 7: Establishing
PROFESSIONAL HONORS, AWARDS AND FELLOWSHIPS
Title: Antitumor and antibacterial formulation and a method thereof, the application is filed with application No: 201841032445, TEM P/E- 1/32902/2018-CHE, C.B.R No: 24204, Docket No: 62628.
Student start-up Grant
Development of antimicrobial drug formulation using biosynthesized silver nanoparticle – chitosan conjugate. From labs to industry programme (FLI), BIIC, Mahatma Gandhi University-2018.
Best Paper Award
- Oral Presentation at 7th Go Green Summit 2021, held on 14-15 October 2021, Manila, Philippines (Online on Zoom Platform) Anticancer Efficacy of Chitosan/Biogenic silver nanoparticle conjugate: An in vitro analysis on MDA MB (Human breast Adenocarcinoma) Cell lines.
- Oral Presentation at international conference BIOINVENTIYON’20 Two-day International Web Conference “Recent Advances in Biosciences” -5th and 6th November 2020- Jointly Organized by National Institute of Plant Science and Technology (NIPST), School of Biosciences, M G University, Kottayam, Kerala India & Directorate of Research, SAFI Institute of Advanced Study (SIAS), Malappuram, Kerala, India.
- Oral presentation at a national conference on “Microorganisms in human welfare” held on 27th and 28th February 2018 at Madras Christian College, Chennai.
- Oral presentation at International Association of Chemical, Biological & Medical Sciences Researchers, Dubai on 30, 31/Dec/2016.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMMES ATTENDED
- Completed Two-week refresher course in lifescience (A+ grade) conducted by Teaching and Learning Centre , Ramanujan College, University of Delhi under the aegis of ministry of Education from 01-15 September, 2021.
- Attended webinar on Editorial Perspectives on Science & Technology Journals conducted by Taylor and Francis Group on 24/08/2021
- 5-Day Faculty Enrichment Programme (FEP) on Cutting Edge Science in Cellular and Molecular Biomedicine held from 27th to 31st July 2021, organized by Amity Institute of Molecular Medicine and Stem Cell Research, Amity University Uttar Pradesh
- FDP (Faculty Development Programme) on Advanced training in ICT- enabled online teaching tools organised by UGC-STRIDE, Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam from 12/10/2020-16/10/2020.
- FDP (Faculty Development Programme) conducted during 31 December 2018 – 12 January 2019 by EDII Kerala sponsored by National Science & Technology Entrepreneurship Development Board Department of Science & Technology, Government of India.
- Training on laboratory animal handling organized by Biomedical Technology Wing, Sree Chitra Thirunal Institute of medical sciences and Technology, from 26/July/2016 to 30/July/2016.
- Training cum workshop on molecular docking and drug designing at Mahatma Gandhi University, School of Bioscience, Kottayam held on 23/Mar/2015 to 25/Mar/2015 organized by School of Biosciences and BioDiscovery Group Lifesciences.
- Training on Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points advanced training programme at National Institute of Plant Science and Technology in association with Quality Austria Central Asia, Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam on 09/Dec/2015 to 13/Dec/2015.
- Course on PCR and its applications conducted on June 13, 2003, at The Biocentre of Oncophyta Labs (incorporated in Virginia, USA).
- A four-month course on Diploma in Microsoft office at Datapro InfoWorld Ltd (ISO 9001 certified), Kozhencherry from November 2000 to February 2001.
MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS
- Kerala Academy of Sciences (KAS) (L424)
- SIMA -South Indian Microbiologists Association (SIMACNGR0088)
- Life Member of the Microbiologists Society, India (MS/LM/632)