The Department of Computer Applications of MACFAST was established in 2001 with a firm belief that the continuous quest for excellence in the pursuit of wisdom is the sole path to success. The Department of Computer Applications of MACFAST has successfully carved a niche for itself in the sphere of technology education in the state within a very short span of its existence. The department offers a two year Master of Computer Applications degree programme approved by AICTE and affiliated to the MG University Kottayam, having an intake capacity of 120 students. The objective of the course is to produce professionally competent postgraduates in Computer Science and its Applications. Apart from the subjects prescribed in the syllabus, the department offers various additional advanced training courses to make students conversant with current technology. Our institution is a member of the professional bodies like CSI and UNAI, where both faculty and students are the members of it. In addition to this, the student and faculty members have access to various online journals like IEEE, ACM etc. for promoting research culture.
• Develop professionals with optimized technical skill set, innovative ideas and sound practical knowledge.
• Provide teaching-learning environment in the core and emerging areas of the technological discipline.
• Nurture student’s ability to analyze, design and solve issues in the areas of computing for productive careers in software industry, corporate sector, Govt. organizations and academia.
• Instill Entrepreneurial collaborative thinking through structured interventions and industry participation.
Course of Curriculum
The curriculum from the University has adopted a Credit Semester System for MCA programme with effect from Academic Year 2020-21, comprising of 26 courses with a total credit of 90. The curriculum comprises of courses at different levels:
• Bridge Courses (for students from non-IT background) (No Credits)
• Core Courses
• Employability Training Course
• Courses of Independent Study
Apart from the curriculum training, our students are benefitted from a 60 hour course in English language and other additional courses on Android and Asp.net. Soft skill and Aptitude Training are also provided to students with the support of MACFAST Corporate Relations. Our students undergo industrial training programmes by collaborating with company, CDAC, Technopark, Thiruvananthapuram.
It is a 40 hours course provided for the MCA aspirants from streams other than BSc. CS and BCA. Seven courses with a specific number of hours are allotted for the completion which will be evaluated internally.
Core courses comprise 13 theory papers, 7 practical papers, Mini Project, Seminar, Main Project & Course Viva. Two courses in Semester 3 are elective each having 4 options.
Employability Skill Training Course
Two courses of one credit each are included for Employability Skill Training with an aim to enhance aptitude and reasoning ability of students that will make them capable of securing a job with any recruiter.
The Seminar paper included in Semester 4 is intended to make students aware of the Current /Future trends related to Information Technology/ Computer Science/ Computer Application. Students should do a detailed study on the topic approved by the guide and present it before the evaluation committee.
As part of the curriculum, all students will have to carry out a Mini Project in the third semester and a Main Project in the fourth semester.
A Viva-Voce Examination will be conducted in the 4th Semester which is a comprehensive evaluation of what has been learned through the entire MCA programme. Students will be evaluated through all core subjects of the MCA programme.
Courses of Independent study
Students will have to complete an online certification course related to IT and approved by AICTE/UGC/ MG University by the end of semester 3 and the certificate should be presented before the examiners during the Course Viva. The purpose of the course is to encourage self-learning among students.
MCA Programme Highlights
• Proven Academic Excellence with consistent pass percentages and top ranks in the MG University Examinations
• Pool of highly motivated and dedicated faculty members to widen the student`s horizon of learning
• Excellent Placement support & Aptitude Training
• Intensive Advanced Java Training under MACFAST Innovation & Corporate Synergy (MICS) associated with CDAC, Technopark, Trivandrum
• Training and project on Android and DOT NET Technologies
• Live Projects and Internship
• Opportunity to be part of Entrepreneurship development initiative – SKY (Startup Kendra for You)
• Seminars, workshops and conferences
• Membership in CSI & UNAI
• Digital World programme at Radio MACFAST 90.4
• Webinar by eminent alumni, under Steve Jobs Club
• Student centric campus
• Soft skill and communication training