Designation in Department
Dr. Beena Cherian is Dean of Biosciences.
M.Sc., Qualified NET & SET, P.G. Diploma in Nutrition and Dietetics, PhD
Mushroom cultivation and its processing
23 years of Teaching Experience
Former Principal. College of Indigenous Food Technology. Perinjottakkal P.O. Konni
- I prize in paper presentation for the paper titled “Acceptability and shelf life of blended nectar” in the National Seminar on Frontiers in Food Science organized by the Department of Food Science & Quality Control, N.S.S College, Changanacherry in collaboration with Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam on 2-8-2018 &3-8-2018.
- II prize in the paper presentation for the paper titled ‘Morphological characteristics and chemical constituents of edible mushroom Pleurotus species cultivated on different substrates “in the National Seminar on Enriching Research Horizons conducted by the Department of Home Science, St. Teresa’s college, Ernakulam on 5-12-2019.
- Beena Cherian and Soffie Cheriyan,2003. “Acceptability study on Blended Papaya Leather” J.Food Sci Technology, 40(3), 293-295.
- Beena Cherian and Soffie Cheriyan,2015. Acceptability study of blended Papaya fruit butter. BIOspectrum 2015-International Conference on Advances in bioprocess technology.26-28 November 2015.
- Beena Cherian & Shilpa Jose,2019. “Suitability of locally available substrates for the cultivation of Pleurotus species”.BIOspectrum 2019-International Conference on Advances in Food and Industrial biotechnology.24 -26 November 2019.
- Beena Cherian & Shilpa Jose,2020. “Mushrooms- Its production, nutritional and therapeutic profile, storage conditions and value addition ‘in the International Journal of Botany Studies ISSN:2455-541X dated 4-09-2020 Issue 5, Volume 5.
- Beena Cherian & Shilpa Jose, 2020.’Morphological characteristics and chemical constituents of edible mushroom Pleurotus species cultivated on different substrates ‘in the Teresian journal of community research April-June 2020 volume 1 Issue II.
Convener, Choice Based Credit Semester System for B Sc. Food Science and Quality Control & B Sc. Food Technology and Quality Assurance, Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam from 19-06-2009 – March 2010.
Convener, Expert Committee in MSc Food Technology & Quality Assurance, Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam from 19-06-2009 – 19-12-2015.
Convener, PG-CSS, Food technology and Quality Assurance Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam from
19-12-2015 – till date.
Chairperson, Board of Examination
- M Sc Food Technology and Quality Assurance, Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam from 03-02-2011 onwards.
- BSc Food Technology & Quality Assurance Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam from 7-12-2012 onwards.
- MSc Food Science & Quality Control Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam from 17-10-2011 to 3-2-2011.
- BSc. Food Science & Quality Control. Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam from 21-03-2006 to 18-3-2010.
Subject Expert in Several Interviews
Subject Expert in the interview Board for the selection of
- JRF in a project entitled “Integrated Technology for the Production Reinforced Bioplastic with Celluloses of Plant origin”, MACFAST College, Tiruvalla.
- Appointment of Principal, lecturers & lab assistant in CFT-K under CFRD, Assistant Professor in Food Processing Technology, St Thomas College, Palai, Assistant Professorin B Voc Food Processing Technology, St Teresa’s College, Ernakulam & Guest Lecturer in the Department of Food Science and Quality Control, NSS Hindu College, Changanacherry.
Question Paper Setters on various universities/autonomous colleges
Kerala University of Fisheries & Ocean Studies, Panangad, Kochi, St. Teresa’s College, Ernakulam, CMS College, Kottayam
Resource Person for various seminars
• Topic: ‘Food preservation and its methods’. Seminar taken at two-day seminar series on ‘Advances in Plant Sciences’ conducted by Department of Botany, St Thomas College Kozhencherry on 12th and 13th November 1998.
• A lecture series taken on topic “Food Adulterants and their testing” was conducted by St. Aloysius College Edathua on October 20, 2009.
• Topic: Technology in Food Preservation for the entrepreneurs in the seminar on Technology Meet on Food Processing conducted by Department of Industries and Commerce, Govt. of Kerala 0n 21-11-2012
• A talk was delivered on the topic “Value Addition of Fruits and Vegetables” in the seminar conducted by Kerala Agricultural Dept. at Nedumangad on 02-01-2014.
• A lecture series on Introduction to HACCP and its Practices among the students at BKM Amalagiri College, Kottayam on January 3, 2013.
• As a resource person for a two-day Technology Clinic on Agro- Food Processing Industries at Jaonce Regency, Thodupuzha, organized by District Industries Centre, Idukki on “Food Preservation Techniques” on January 8, 2014.
• A lecture series on Topic: ‘Physical & Chemical Hazards’ and operational pre-requisite programme for sanitation and hygiene on 23-09-2014 and 25-09-2014 for Training program on “HACCP-ISO 22000 FSMS conducted by Council for Food Research & Development (CFRD), Konni.
• As a resource person and keynote speaker on the topic Food Adulteration and Food Safety organized by Assumption College, Changanassery on15-09-2015.
• A talk was delivered on the topic Food Adulteration and its Testing in the National seminar organized by K E College Mannanam on 8-12-2015.
• As a resource person for the talk on the topic Application of HACCP in Home and Industry organized by department of community science, CMS College, Kottayam on 18-3-2016.
• A talk on ‘chemical used for ripening” invijyanaveedhi radio programme broadcasted by Radio MACFAST 90.4 on 6-2-2018.
• As a resource person for the one-day seminar on the topic “Value-added products from Jackfruit and mango’ based on Jackfruit-Mango Fest 2018 in collaboration with YMCA, BODHANA & MACFAST ON 26-05-2018.
• As a resource person in the seminar on the topic “Importance of Jackfruit and its value addition ‘conducted by St. Josephs Central school Mundakayam on 5-6-2018 in connection with World Environmental Day.
• Assigned as the resource person for conducting the seminar on the topic “Value-Added Products from fruits and vegetables” organized by the development committee of the parish at Ebenezer Mar Thoma Church, Kavumbhagom on 28-07-2019.
• Assigned as a resource person in the seminar on the topic “Diabetes” at St. Paul’s Marthoma Church, Kallunkal on 19-10-2019 organized by Tiruvalla West Centre Suvisheshasangham.
• Talk on “Cereal and cereal products” among the students of BSc Food Science & Quality Control at BCM College, Kottayam on 2-3-2020.